Today I’m chatting about something super important: toothpaste. So much of our “beauty” comes from our smiles and we all know it’s SO important to have good dental hygiene. We all want those clean pearly whites and good oral hygiene is a MUST – but as you know, toxins are everywhere, and they don’t stop at toothpaste (I mean, when it has a warning on the back to seek medical help if you swallow it, it can’t be that good for you, right?!)
So here’s what’s in most toothpastes that aren’t so great:
- Triclosan: It’s a synthetic chemical that can be added to toothpastes that can disrupt and mimic hormones and increase sensitivity to allergens. Triclosan was banned from hand soaps in 2016, but hasn’t been banned in toothpastes yet. Some companies hopped on the train & banned it, while others (Colgate included).. not so much (you can read about it here).
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: This is a chemical used to create a “foaming” action. in shampoos, soaps, and toothpastes. It’s a hormone disruptor and skin and scalp irritants and is found in more than 90% of products (they’re legitimately in everything that foams and cuts through oil).
- Fluoride: UGH – this one is controversial. After doing research, some say it’s necessary to prevent tooth decay; others, say “not so much.” They claim it’s more the “brushing action” that prevents decay than the actual fluoride itself. I choose toothpastes that don’t have fluoride, but feel free to consult with your dental provider about this one.. they clearly know more about it than I do!
- Propylene Glycol: it’s an active ingredient in antifreeze that can be absorbed into the liver, brain and kidneys. just don’t put it in your mouth, ok?
- Diethanolamine: also known as DEA. it disrupts hormones and “forms cancer-causing nitrates.” It can also increase risk of liver and kidney cancers.
Not things I really want to be swishing around my mouth and ingesting every morning and night.
So what do I use?
I use Thieves Aromabright Toothpaste from Young Living. I’m not going to lie, I was extremely nervous to try this one and was worried it wouldn’t work. I was using 3D White by Crest or Colgate or something before and loved it so I was nervous so switch. But, it’s awesome. It has a minty flavor that keeps my mouth feeling super fresh and clean all day and it’s made with all natural ingredients. I add a drop of orange essential oil for some extra whitening power because, duh.
Here’s what’s in them:
So I encourage you to try to replace your toothpaste with something a lot safer for you and your families. If you’re not sure if your toothpaste is “toxic,” check it out on the Think Dirty app. And as always, consult with your dentist! Your mouth will thank you.